Insomnia: The Ark, the dieselpunk sci-fi RPG developed by Mono Studios, is about the slowly degrading remnants of human society attempting to survive on an abandoned space metropolis. Players will develop their character, explore lovingly handcrafted locations, interact with peculiar NPCs and factions, and try to stay alive in this brutal world.
This sprawling RPG will feature over 60 hours of content, as players explore a colossal space metropolis brimming with the secrets of a long-gone civilization.
Players will explore more than 70 unique locations, populated by 250 key characters uttering over 200,000 words of dialogue. The epic story can be completed alongside four NPC companions, and there will be 12 different endings at which the player can arrive, depending on their choices throughout the game.
Following a successful closed beta exclusive to Kickstarter backers in late May, HeroCraft and Studio Mono have today opened up the next phase of beta testing – inviting those who signed up via the Insomnia website to play through a substantial early section of the game. Player feedback will be used to inform final balancing and refinement, in addition to already-planned revision of the game’s pacing and animation systems.
Vitaly Makarov, CIO at Studio Mono, said: “We opened a small closed beta for our Kickstarter backers a couple of months ago and got valuable feedback from players, as well as taking the game to several events where we were nominated for a number of awards. Now it’s all coming to the end. After almost nine years of development, we’d love to keep adding content, but we have to let it go eventually!”
He added: “From this new beta, we hope players will help us make Insomnia as good as it can be – but just as importantly, that they’ll enjoy and appreciate the work of a small indie team trying to make their dream game.”
- Exploration is rewarding… and dangerous. Search for valuable technology and resources in the confines of Object 6. Pay attention – INSOMNIA’s nuanced world can conceal unexpected quests from treacherous characters, as well as savage enemies and deadly hazards. Hunger, thirst, fatigue and hostile environments will be your main companions throughout this journey.
- Personalized journey. Break free from character classes and unwanted grind with a flexible perk system combined with a huge amount of craftable items and equipment for an experience unique to every player.
- Your choices matter. INSOMNIA offers an intricate, non-linear storyline with ‘points of no return’. Navigate a system of thorny relations with characters and factions and make tough decisions that affect the game world. Each major problem can be solved using a variety of different (and sometimes unexpected) solutions.
- Strategic real-time combat. INSOMNIA features both close and ranged combat, as well as destroyable covers. Choose your gear wisely – every armor and weapon type in the game has its own tactical virtues and shortcomings.
- A rich universe. Experience the game’s rich lore through retro-futuristic noir visuals with elements of dieselpunk. Witness man-made apocalyptic landscapes imbued with a dark noir jazz soundtrack and echoes of a decaying civilization.
Insomnia: The Ark will release for PC later in 2018.